Entrepreneurship is where passion and hard work collide. Today’s guest on the Be Better Podcast learned this lesson firsthand at 16 years old when he dropped out of school to pursue digital marketing. Now a founder and CEO of one of the UK’s fastest-growing digital marketing agencies, he has built an empire through the hard work and passion that got him started.
Flynn side-hustled through school by reselling rare shoes and designing websites.
- After building a website for a friend, Flynn realized he could make a career from it. At first, he tried to continue both school and his professional aspirations. However, he was unsuccessful.
- Flynn went all-in on his entrepreneurial endeavors. His first sales task was his most challenging – selling his mom on the idea of dropping out.
Entering the business world as a young guy was no minor feat.
- Getting people to take him seriously was an initial challenge. He found it difficult to articulate his thoughts to make people take him seriously.
- His initial clients were people he knew. After that, he was able to land more clients through his work.
- He realized he could find people who saw his age as a positive; he was someone who’s grown up in the digital world.
Entrepreneurship is an excellent opportunity for young adults:
- If you have a passion for the industry, it can be gratifying. However, you’re going to spend more time working as an entrepreneur than you would in a 9-5 role.
- It’s a time investment, but you get the rewards later down the line. It’s a long-term plan, not a short investment.
- The best way to learn is by doing, and why wait? Just start now and see where it goes.
How did Flynn gain knowledge without schooling?
- Books were the foundational method. If you want to learn a lot from one person, a book is better than any conversation.
- He tried to learn from other people’s lessons before making the same mistakes himself.
- His mentorship was essential. When covid hit, he focused on networking and seeking out people who could provide meaningful input.
Flynn’s advice to someone looking to be an entrepreneur? Just get started and do it. That doesn’t mean you have to drop the ball and quit everything else, but get started and see where it goes.
Be Better Episode Resources:
- Visit Flynn’s website flynnblackie.com to get in contact with him and to read more about his company.
- Like, subscribe, and listen to the Be Better podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else podcasts can be found.
You can help build a better world.
Help Better Homes and Gardens fight homelessness across the world by donating at bhgre.com/newstory. With a goal to raise $100,000 by the end of 2022, your contributions will go directly to supporting those affected and helping build a world with homes for everyone.
This episode is brought to you in part by Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate.
Looking for a new role that allows you to become your own boss, create your own schedule, and have excellent income potential without the headache of starting a new business? Become an agent with Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate, an American icon trusted in all things related to the home. Explore career options at bhgrecareer.com/.