In today’s episode of the Be Better Podcast, Donald talks about what he had to learn the hard way when starting his own business. For aspiring entrepreneurs, this episode has the takeaways you need to get your next venture started on the right foot.
You’re always selling.
- If you’re too focused on the service or product you offer, you won’t have the people necessary to sell it.
- Always be in sales mode. Tell people about your company, your product, and what makes you unique.
You must utilize marketing.
- Selling connects prospects to your product; marketing advertises that product to generate inbound traffic and spread awareness.
- Because of the multiple channels, mediums, and locations marketing is available, ensure your business utilizes marketing in the right areas to best help your business.
Find the right product-market fit, and soon.
- You won’t truly know your ideal client until you can see who best uses and purchases your product.
- Sell as much as possible to see which types of people are most receptive to your sales efforts.
- Your ideal client can change; refine your target market as your company grows and expands.
You don’t have to be perfect to start.
- If you wait for perfection, you’ll never get started.
- Regardless of your goal, idea, or company, just start. Build off of the traction you gain from beginning your efforts.
Learn to work with partners and people who can help you.
- Work with people or other companies who you can mutually benefit from.
- Take the opportunity to see what you need and which individuals might benefit from working with you.
Be Better Episode Resources:
- Read Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
- Find The E-Myth by Michael E. Gerber on Amazon.
- Eric Ries’s The Lean Startup is available on Amazon and Audible.
- Like, subscribe, and listen to the Be Better podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else podcasts can be found.
You can help build a better world.
Help Better Homes and Gardens fight homelessness across the world by donating at bhgre.com/newstory. With a goal to raise $100,000 by the end of 2022, your contributions will go directly to supporting those affected and helping build a world with homes for everyone.
This episode is brought to you in part by Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate.
Looking for a new role that allows you to become your own boss, create your own schedule, and have excellent income potential without the headache of starting a new business? Become an agent with Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate, an American icon trusted in all things related to the home. Explore career options at bhgrecareer.com/.