While many people start with the resources to achieve greatness, others work to make their dreams happen. (Today’s guest is someone who falls into the latter category.) In this episode of the Be Better podcast, Donald is joined by interior designer Jennifer Adams to discuss her humble beginnings and how she shifted her perspective to achieve worthwhile goals through realizing her intentions.
When Jennifer started her business, she had no confidence.
- It took time for her to realize she had the skills and talent to charge people more money for her work.
- Everybody has to start somewhere. No matter where you’re at in life, there’s time for you to pursue your dreams.
- It’s challenging to imagine successful people just starting out in their careers, but they all started somewhere. And if they can do it, so can you!
- Creative and service people are the first to undervalue themselves. Remember your worth.
- The dictionary has several different meanings for intention. To Jennifer, she considers it the emotion and driving force behind what you do.
- If your end goal doesn’t match your intentions, the process doesn’t feel good.
- When Jennifer sets goals, she images what she wants her life to be like and creates goals with that image in mind.
- If there are negative or unsatisfied feelings, she reassesses her goals to see what needs changing.
Use intention to build a reality:
- When she began her interior decorating business, Jennifer felt unfulfilled. She was going through the motions.
- Once you set intentions, expand your vision to make it as big as possible. You might not accomplish the goal today, but you can break that goal into stepping stones.
- If you have negative thoughts, write them down to help notice and repress them if they occur again.
- Jennifer looked at how Martha Stewart expanded her business beyond catering. Then, she took notes and looked at how she could apply those stepping stones to her own career.
Just because something has been done before doesn’t mean it can’t be done better.
- A frequent limiting belief is the lens of envy and jealousy instead of being joyful for another person and drawing inspiration from them.
- It’s all about catching yourself in a negative mindset and determining what you need to do to fix it.
- Brainstorm all the things you can do to reach your goal, and then put that goal into action. Reaching milestones will bring you the joy and confidence to continue.
- If you believe in your own success, others will too.
Jennifer’s advice to young professionals: If you have the desire, you can and will make it happen no matter your background or circumstances. It just starts with that initial desire. You can do it!
Be Better Episode Resources:
- Find Jennifer’s book, How High Can You Soar, on Amazon and anyplace books are sold. Listen to the audio version on Audible to hear Jennifer narrate her book!
- Engage with Jennifer and her company on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and visit her website jenniferadams.com.
- Like, subscribe, and listen to the Be Better podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else podcasts can be found.
This episode is brought to you in part by Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate.
Looking for a new role that allows you to become your own boss, create your own schedule, and have excellent income potential without the headache of starting a new business? Become an agent with Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate, an American icon trusted in all things related to the home. Explore career options at bhgrecareer.com/.