Everyone has a strategy for time management. Whether it’s your mom, dad, brother, coworker, or neighbor, you’ve likely heard many different ways to prioritize your time and get things done. In today’s episode of the Be Better Podcast, Donald is joined by entrepreneur and bestselling author, Richie Norton, to hear his take on time management and how everyone can find a bit more time in their day.
Get things done without doing unnecessary things.
- Be an architect. They don’t build buildings; they draw and have someone else construct them.
- A dream doesn’t get done until it’s due – work not for something but from something.
- Many entrepreneurs lose their time and life to a business when they started it to reclaim those things.
- In America, we’re taught to work 9-5 and retire at 65. While that’s changing, work still has a leash and collar for many working Americans.
- Live to start, start to live. A full calendar is an empty life, and successful people can say yes to whatever they want.
Time management is like water.
- Every decision today is based on Frederick Winslow Taylor’s ideation of time management in the 1800s.
- We think time management is to get our time back. However, it’s designed to measure workers’ output to complete more work, not give people more time.
- It’s not about what you do with your time but who controls it.
How do you put this into practice?
- Begin with the end in mind. We’ve made means into ends. Goals, habits, and tools aren’t the strength; the goal is to move beyond the goal.
- Stop managing time and start prioritizing attention.
- If you measure time flow rather than cash flow, you sacrifice what you love for success, and you get neither.
- You’re more productive when you value your time and start from there.
- There’s a place for training and more expensive results. The problem is ghost-stepping, or choosing decisions that don’t support the dream.
Richie’s final takeaway for this episode? Don’t hope you’ll, at one point, have time to do what you want. Make time for it today.
Be Better Episode Resources:
- Follow our host, Donald Kelly, on Instagram and Tik Tok.
- Visit Richie’s website, richienorton.com, to connect and learn more with him. Tune into his podcast, The Richie Norton Show, on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.
- Take Richie’s 90-Day Anti-Time Management Challenge at richienorton.com/time.
- Purchase Richie’s books, The Power of Starting Something Stupid and Anti-Time Management, on Amazon.
- Like, subscribe, and listen to the Be Better podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else podcasts can be found.
You can help build a better world.
Help Better Homes and Gardens fight homelessness across the world by donating at bhgre.com/newstory. With a goal to raise $100,000 by the end of 2022, your contributions will go directly to supporting those affected and helping build a world with homes for everyone.
This episode is brought to you in part by Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate.
Looking for a new role that allows you to become your own boss, create your own schedule, and have excellent income potential without the headache of starting a new business? Become an agent with Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate, an American icon trusted in all things related to the home. Explore career options at bhgrecareer.com/.