Before you seek to receive something, seek first to give to those around you. In today’s episode of the Be Better Podcast, Donald is joined by Bob Burg, co-author of The Go-Giver, to learn his philosophy and simple takeaways to lead a life in service to others.
The Go-Giver mentality is a universal practice:
- A great salesperson focuses not on their product but on their prospect’s needs and how their issue is related to the product.
- Nobody will buy from you because you have a quota to meet, or just because you’re a nice person. They’ll buy from you only because they believe it is beneficial for them to do so.
- This mentality can be applied beyond sales – the situation can change, but the principles stay the same.
- The Go-Giver mentality is, in essence, shifting your focus from “getting” to “giving”(giving defined as “constantly and consistently providing immense value to others”) It’s logical, rational, and the best way to secure long-term wealth through providing value to those around you.
Go beyond the business while interacting with others.
- Empathy is the most important people skill an individual can have.
- Professional skills are essential to get in the game. However, those with people skills can procure the influence to get ahead of the game.
- Have gratitude and appreciation for the people around you, and you’ll attract happy and confident people around you.
- The Law of Receptivity: The ability to allow oneself to receive from others. It focuses on other people’s interests and creates the benevolent context for your success. The key to effective giving is being open to receiving.
Be Better Episode Resources:
- Read Bob’s book, The Go-Giver (coauthored with John David Mann), available on Amazon, and visit burg.com for more information and resources.
- Check out How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
- Follow our host, Donald Kelly, on Instagram and Tik Tok.
- Like, subscribe, and listen to the Be Better podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else podcasts can be found.
You can help build a better world.
Help Better Homes and Gardens fight homelessness across the world by donating at bhgre.com/newstory. With a goal to raise $100,000 by the end of 2022, your contributions will go directly to supporting those affected and helping build a world with homes for everyone.
This episode is brought to you in part by Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate.
Looking for a new role that allows you to become your own boss, create your own schedule, and have excellent income potential without the headache of starting a new business? Become an agent with Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate, an American icon trusted in all things related to the home. Explore career options at bhgrecareer.com/.