Diversity isn’t just about gathering diverse people; it’s gathering diverse perspectives that create a culture of success for the company, its employees, and its customers. In today’s episode of the Be Better podcast, Donald is joined by broker realtor at Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate Premier, Thai Nguyen, to discuss his approach to creating a diverse culture (and how you can do the same.)
Company culture is not by accident; it’s by design.
- Thai was a sales agent when he first took over the company. That prior experience helped him understand the environment that creates great workplace culture.
- His agent perspective helps him understand how his agents feel and what issues they encounter.
- His office maintains a culture that seeks the personality and skills of the people within it to make them better agents; a good culture is composed of team players.
Creating a team that values diversity:
- Look at how diverse the company is, not just across the company but specifically in leadership.
- Actions speak louder than words. While there might be initiatives and values on paper, ensure those are reflected in the company’s behavior.
- Create event and training opportunities for employees to make their workplace a more inclusive environment where everyone can perform their best.
It’s not diversity of culture; it’s diversity of thought.
- Thai listens to his agents for the best ideas, and he looks to everyone to contribute meaningful ideas based on their unique perspectives, and that’s how he grows diversity within the company.
- For new hires, spend time with the organization’s agents (not just leadership.) The owner might sell you on an idea of the company, but the agents will tell you whether or not an owner’s words live up to expectations.
Thai’s final takeaway? When you walk into the company, your gut feeling about whether or not it’s the right fit for you is probably correct. Listen to your heart – it’ll tell you if you belong there.
Be Better Episode Resources:
- Visit Thai’s company website to contact him for more information and follow his team on Facebook.
- Like, subscribe, and listen to the Be Better podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else podcasts can be found.
You can help build a better world.
Help Better Homes and Gardens fight homelessness across the world by donating at bhgre.com/newstory. With a goal to raise $100,000 by the end of 2022, your contributions will go directly to supporting those affected and helping build a world with homes for everyone.
This episode is brought to you in part by Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate.
Looking for a new role that allows you to become your own boss, create your own schedule, and have excellent income potential without the headache of starting a new business? Become an agent with Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate, an American icon trusted in all things related to the home. Explore career options at bhgrecareer.com/.