Great leadership looks different to everyone. In today’s episode of the Be Better Podcast, Donald is joined by the CEO and co-founder of Better Homes and Gardens Native American Group, Susan Jenkins, to learn what she values in leadership and how she embraces those traits in her work.
It’s got to be deeper than money – a ‘why’ must be answered.
- In 2001, a family member approached Susan, said she’d be a great realtor, and offered to pay for her real estate school.
- She wanted to incorporate her Native American heritage into her work, so she and her husband founded their real estate brokerage.
- During the market crash in 2008, she and her company worked with foreclosed homes and developed a thriving practice.
If she can help one person, it’s worthwhile.
- Susan looks to help marginalized and overlooked people find the opportunity and success to support their families for generations to come.
- There are many people she realizes have tremendous potential for greatness; they just need a network of support. Susan’s goal is to be that support.
Being a servant leader:
- To Susan, being a servant leader means investing in your clients, showing them the ins and outs of the business, and teaching them how to work through the nuances of real estate.
- Put people first. At her brokerage, Susan offers loans to the people in her organization to help them get through tough spots – she wants to give everyone the path to success.
- Her role is to find overlooked people, encourage them, invest, and teach them to be successful. They just need someone to lead them.
- Many people she meets have fear and doubt about their abilities. She helps them believe they have the right to be in the space.
Susan’s parting advice? You have value and worth. There is something unique inside you that nobody else has. So find your tribe of people who elevate you to that next position, and don’t be afraid to reach for it.
Be Better Episode Resources:
- Follow our host, Donald Kelly, on Instagram and Tik Tok.
- Give Susan a call at 7576726732 or email her at email@example.com.
- Like, subscribe, and listen to the Be Better podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else podcasts can be found.
You can help build a better world.
Help Better Homes and Gardens fight homelessness across the world by donating at bhgre.com/newstory. With a goal to raise $100,000 by the end of 2022, your contributions will go directly to supporting those affected and helping build a world with homes for everyone.
This episode is brought to you in part by Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate.
Looking for a new role that allows you to become your own boss, create your own schedule, and have excellent income potential without the headache of starting a new business? Become an agent with Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate, an American icon trusted in all things related to the home. Explore career options at bhgrecareer.com/.