Joyce Wright Funk is broker and co-owner of Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Rainbow Island Properties in Kilauea, Hawaii. She is also the first black, female owner in the Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate network.
1. Which of our BHGRE® P.A.I.G.E. (Passion, Authenticity, Inclusion, Growth, Excellence) core values do you identify with most, and why?
I identify with all of these fabulous, energetic values. I find myself on fire with great passion for this opportunity to do what I love, connecting people and places (homes , environments, etc.). Growth is a key factor in my life journey and it constantly feels like an adventure to me, even when it may be daunting. My authenticity focus has and always will be on communication. I believe it’s necessary in every area of my life. Inclusion and Aloha feel synonymous and I do my best to bring it to life. One of my daily focuses in meditation is to be excellent in my thoughts and actions.
2. What are your favorite qualities in a customer?
My favorite qualities in a customer are honesty, enthusiasm and clarity.
3. What is the one characteristic that’s helped you the most in your career?
I find that being in a state of gratitude elevates everything. Things come easily with authentic gratitude.
4. What was the last book you read?
The last book I read was Atlas of the Heart by Brene’ Brown
5. If you were not in real estate, what would you be doing?
I would teach yoga and be leading great retreats for personal development and self-awareness.
6. What was the last song you heard that you couldn’t stop humming?
My husband sends me love songs so I will say the last one that captured me is Bill Withers “Lovely Day”.
7. Who is your real-life hero?
My father is my hero. He was able to overcome adversity as a black man and made it look effortless, as if there was no such thing as racism! He never had a cruel thing to say about anyone, he never used profane language, he truly was an honorable man and a great teacher. He’s no longer with us – I hope that he is smiling upon me with pride!
8. What is your favorite motto?
People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. – Maya Angelou
9. If you could sell a home in any market in the world, where would it be?
Kaua’i Hawaii! I really believe that I’m the luckiest lady on planet earth.
10. What advice would you give your younger self starting out in real estate?
Remember to believe in yourself and take a few chances. Step out on faith as soon as you can. Travel more and expand your horizons. You will land in the most opportune place at the most opportune moment.